">

November 24, 2011

Happy Slapsgiving!

You know when you were a kid the holidays meant that you would get time off of school and lots of preseents from your relatives.  But a weird thing happened on the way to getting older.  I stopped caring less about what I got for the holidays and started caring more about who I'm with.  Maybe it's because I have a great family, or maybe it's because I think my parents did a pretty good job of raising me, but the thing I look forward to most during the holidays now is the company of my friends, family, and the overall holiday cheer.  Thanksgiving and Christmas are two days out of the year when we all forget about the crap we having going on and just be thankful for the people we have in our lives. 
Living in Austin does means I am hundreds, if not thousands, of miles away from the people I care about, Like my family and friends in Indiana, and my friends in California, but I am thankful for them being in my life. 
I guess what I'm most thankful for is my wife, Lisa.  At our wedding Albert said, "Shawn, I've known you for a while and I have to say, marrying Lisa is the smartest thing I've seen you do."  I'd have to agree with him on that.  Anyone who knows us knows it was rocky start, but the fact that Lisa chose to spend her life with a schmuck like me makes me the luckiest man in the world.  Something I tell myself every day.
So this year I hope you're spending time with people you care about most, and if your not, at least shoot them a text or Facebook message to let them know you're glad to know them.  Now if you'll excuse me I have a dinner to get to that I've been fasting for all day, and a little boy who I'm sure wants to be read some books.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment