">

May 24, 2010

Graphic Novel Review: Batman Reborn

I know it’s been a while since I’ve posted anything. For a few weeks there I got caught up in my life I forgot about all the little people that depend on me to tell them what is good and bad in the world of entertainment. Well fear not my minions because today I bring you a tale of great significance. A hero has fallen, and now a new hero must rise to fill the shadow of the bat.
Grant Morrison has always been known for telling a great Batman story, even though I’m not a big Batman fan, and even less of Morrison. Batman Reborn follows the three-part miniseries Battle for the Cowl, in which former Robin and Nightwing, Dick Grayson, steps in to become Batman after Bruce Wayne’s supposed passing. Filling in for Tim Drake as Robin, who has gone on to become Red Robin, is Bruce Wayne’s illegitimate son, Damien. Damien is smart, cocky, and kind of little prick. But when you grow up in The League of Assassins you’re bound to have some issues. So Dick has taken it upon himself to look after not only Damien, but Gotham as well. He’s got a new batmobile, a new hideout, and a whole new set of villains.
Professor Pym is a man who likes to mutilate people while wearing a pig mask. The Flamingo is a bad-ass boss with a flair for pink, and he uses that on his opponents who underestimate him. But the main villain in the novel is the return of the Red Hood. When last we saw Jason Todd, Dick had beaten him for the right to wear the mantle of the Batman. Now Jason is back with his own kid sidekick and hopes to make the people of Gotham believe Batman is outdated, mainly by going on a killing spree.
Batman and Robin take down The Flamingo and the Red Hood, but not before Jason tries to convince Dick to put Bruce’s body in the Lazarus Pit and bring him back to life. Along the way their are a few scenes where Dick teaches Damien that he doesn't know everything, and I fully enjoyed seeing that little smartass get schooled by one of my all-time favorite DC characters. At the end of the novel a shocking panel reveals that Dick has a corpse stashed somewhere; one we are led to believe is Bruce Wayne. Is Dick going to try and bring Batman back to life?
I’ve gone on record several time in stating that I love the current state of the Batman Family. The once son, Dick, has become the father, and now is the head of the family, but some like Damien and Jason Todd challenge him to see if he deserves it. Dick became Nightwing to step out if Bruce’s shadow and now has become exactly what he didn’t want to be, mainly because he had too. He’s trying to be Batman. Everyone is looking for him to answers while others think he’s only kidding himself; Dick sometimes being the first person to think so.  This adds a great character depth to our hero Bruce Wayne could never have.
Meanwhile Damien is a very rebellious Robin, much like how Jason Todd was. So much that it makes me wonder if Damien could share his same fate.  However, Damien comes up with the idea to help make the batmobile fly, which makes him very smart, but he also knows that Dick doubts himself as Batman, and he uses that to taunt him. It seems as though Alfred is the only person behind Dick in all of Gotham City.
Even though I prefer Tony Daniels Batman stories, Grant Morrison can add a depth to Batman that makes it seem bigger than just a detective story. However, the first issue of The Return of Bruce Wayne I feel is an example of him going a little overboard and ridiculous. Frank Quitely’s art is either hit or miss for me. I liked him in New X- Men, but wasn’t a fan of All-Star Superman. His drawing seems kind of marshmallow to me. But I think in Batman & Robin his art helps Morrison introduce different characters that we’re not used to seeing in Batman. His drawing goes good with mutants, flying batmobiles, and pink motorcycles.
I’m a big fan of character development and personal dilemma’s to help move a story along. This graphic novel has those traits.  Batman tries to teach Robin the ropes, but he’s arrogant. The Red Hood tests a Batman he knows is reluctant to be the head of the family. The bits help make the story enjoyable, but without them I think this graphic novel wouldn’t have meant as much to Batman readers.  With the return of Bruce Wayne nearing I dread the return to the Batman status quo, but maybe DC will surprise me.  Captain America certainly did; kudos on that one Marvel!

Recommendation: Wait for the paperback

No comments:

Post a Comment