">

August 28, 2012

The People VS a Man and His Posters

The weird thing about me, well, one of the weird things about me, is that I kind of like moving.  I'm not a fan of packing, but I kind like unpacking.  Last month Lisa and I closed on our first home purchase, and we've spent this month painting, doing yard work, and overall maintenance.  Now it's less than 2 weeks from our moving date and not a thing has been packed. 
In an effort to get the ball rolling I started taking the pictures and decor on the wall.  Our apartment walls are now empty and I hope this will motivate the other people in the apartment to start packing up.  As I took my posters and pictures over to our new house I thought about where I would hang everything  That's why I love unpacking; setting up your old stuff in a new location. 
Lisa of course reminded me that not all my stuff is going to be put up in our house.  This of course, was not news to me since Lisa always gripes about my posters, how I have to many, and how they aren't "adult".  Blah, Blah, Blah.  I've already thought about what my essential decor will be, and possibly where to put it.

STAR WARS MOVIE POSTER COLLECTION
I've been a Star Wars fan my whole life, which of course means I have lost of Star Wars memorabilia and posters.  I pride myself in having all 7 Star Wars movie posters.  The Return of the Jedi poster is possibly the oldest thing I still own.  It's so old that, for over a decade, I've never taken it out of it's frame that its been in for years in fear of ruining an already beat-up collectors item.  Chuck Bartowski had his Tron poster, I have my ROTJ poster.  It lets people know that I am a child of the 80's and I have great taste in movies. 
When we lived in Chicago Lisa let me decorate our spare room with all my Star Wars memorabilia; posters, lightsabers, and mini-statuish stuff.  I'm hoping she'll just allow me to do the same with the house, because otherwise they'll be some heated discussions about where to put all my stuff she doesn't really want me to put-up.  The essential one I want up is the ROTJ poster.  That's either going in the bedroom, dining room, living room, game room, or right in the middle of the stairs.  OH!  Maybe the stairs can be SW posters.  Every step-up could be a step further into the history of Star Wars.  That would be sweet!
 
SPEED RACER POSTER
I've had this poster for quite some time, and let's face it; it's iconic.  I mean what kid didn't want to be Speed Racer growing up.  He got to hang out with his girlfriend, Trixie, and drive the coolest car ever; the Mach 5!  I dare say I'd prefer it over the Batmobile.  This used to be the ultimate bachelor pad poster.  Joey and Chandler had it hanging in their apartment in Friends.  I just think it's a great piece of American pop culture and lets people know that yes, I do wish my car had buzz-saws on it and could do back flips.
 ALEX ROSS POSTERS
The great thing about Alex Ross's comic art style is that it looks like real art you'd see in a museum.  He gives the characters faces, which makes them seem so much more real.  The Superman poster I believe Lisa actually likes because it's hung above out bed for quite some time so I feel that will not be an issue.
However, she said the X-Men poster scared her in the dark once so she dislikes it.  But this is a Ross-style version of the Uncanny X-Men.  Each popular character looks exactly how they where when they were first introduced into the comic books.  Wolverine hasn't changed his clothes in almost 40 years!  Plus, notice how the poster has both Jean Grey and the Phoenix.  That's because anyone who knows X-Men history knows they're not the same person; Phoenix only portrayed Jean for a while.    
I've bought more X-Men comics in my life than any other character/team.  I've almost been as dedicated to X-Men in my life that I have Star Wars.  It's just something I've always enjoyed.  This poster to me represents the history of X-Men. 

TRON LIGHT DISC
When Tron and Tron: Legacy came out on dvd I bought the blu-ray versions of both.  Along with it came a free light disc, the weapon of The Grid.  It's Tron's version of a lightsaber.  The disc came with a stand, but that eventually broke after Logan played with it a little too much.  In any event, the light disc actually lights up and as an 80's sci-fi geek I think it's pretty cool.  We can put in the bedroom or bathroom for all I care, just as long as people can see it at some point, and I can get a chuckle out of them.
 
AVENGERS ASSEMBLE MOVIE POSTER
When I move into a new place I usually like to pick out something new to decorate with, which is probably why my wife thinks I have too many "crappy" posters.  A few weeks ago Lisa bought a painting of flowers, which I will not say how much it was, but is was enough to justify me only spending $9 on this sweet item.  I've never been an art guy.  I just don't get it.  Get me an awesome photograph instead.  Anyway, I found this on Amazon and it is going front-and-center at the top of stairs so everyone can see it because it is awesome!
The Avengers was a box office smash, and beat out The Dark Knight Rises in the battle of the summer movies and is now the highest grossing film of all-time.  Second, it was directed by Joss Whedon, a geek himself, and creator of some great shows like Firefly that seem to get cancelled prematurely.  This signifies that Whedon knows what he's doing and everyone will give him whatever he wants from here on out.
Thirdly, Marvel Studios is an independent studio that took the money from the Spider-Man and X-Men franchise films, done by Columbia Pictures and 20th Century Fox, and made their characters the way they're meant to be.  Never in Hollywood have 4 seperate film franchises come together to form one massive film; and it was a success!  Each character had their own title, but also were in this one together, just like in the comic books!   
Finally, The Avengers proves that when you don't mess with what works then you'll get better results.  Other comic book propeties have fizzled because too much was changed for the motion picture adaptation.  Actual Marvel writers and readers have been consulted in every movie Marvel Studios has done.  Warner Bros. destroyed any hopes in  Green Lantern being a frachise because they didn't let GL writer, Geoff Johns, do his thing.  But when they didn't interfere with David Goyer and Christopher Nolan writing the Dark Knight trilogy they got box office gold.
Now you also may have noticed that the poster says Avengers Assemble as oppose to The Avengers.  In everywhere but the US, this is what the film was called.  I couldn't find a US version that I thought was big enough so I went with the international poster.  So not only is it cool because it's The Avengers; it's cool because it's foreign.
This poster is symbol for every comic book fan that their can be good movies based on the characters that we have loved for so long, comic books can be considered cool by the general public, and that all these years we have not been outcast, we've been trailblazers!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment