">

August 11, 2012

My Top 5 New Fall Shows to Watch: 2012 Edition

This past Wednesday, after the Olympics, NBC previewed one of their new fall shows starring Matthew Perry.  Go On is about a radio sports commentator who loses his wife and has to go to group therapy.  While there he meets some strange, and interesting, new friends.  The episode was enjoyable to where I may try a few more episodes, but it definitely had a Community vibe to it; which I'm not a big fan of.
So this got me thinking that it was time to break out my thoughts on this years new Fall shows.  Out of the five shows I picked last year only half are making it to a second season, and only one of those shows I am continuing to watch.  This year I have a feeling at least my top two have a better chance of holding my attention, but in this business you never can tell. 

5. How To Live With Your Parents (for the Rest of Your Life)
Scrubs alumni Sarah Chalke is back on the small screen after her new series last year with Jason Biggs didn't pan out.  This time she's playing a single mom who moves back in with her crazy parents, played by Elizabeth Perkins and Brad Garret.  They seem to embarrass her quite a bit, which of course always leads to good TV.
As a faithful Scrubs fan I'm just rooting for Chalke to finally make a show last after she left Sacred Heart.  The show is produced by the man who brought us Friday Night Lights and Arrested Development, Brian Grazer.  As always, I'm going to watch this first episode and see if I want to watch the second.
Premiere Date: TBD 2013, ABC

4.  Elementary
With Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law making the classic detective, Sherlock Holmes, cool again on the big screen CBS looks like they decided to cash in on the money train and try a modern interpretation on the small screen.  Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu star as Sherlock Holmes and Joan Watson.  Holmes used to work for Scotland Yard as a consultant, but was put into rehab for his "issues." Now he's out solving crimes in New York and his father has hired Dr. Watson to look after him as he does his thing in the Big Apple.
I always try to like detective shows, but can never seem to stay into them with each episode just about solving one crime each week.  I like Psych, Bones, The Mentalist, but even those are hard for me to keep interest in sometimes.  I want to like Elementary but only time will tell if it stays on my Tivo's Season Pass.
Premiere Date: Thursday, Sept. 27 10/9c CBS

3. Animal Practice
Justin Kirk, or Andy from Weeds as I will always think of him, is Dr. George Coleman the best veterinarian in New York, but he also is a little unorthodox.  He loves his job and he helps a lot of animals while doing it, but his ex-girlfriend, played by JoAnna Garcia, is about to spoil his fun.  She's taking over Crane Veterinary Hospital and George either has to adapt or teach Ms. Crane a few new tricks, along with a little help from his strange staff. 
Seeing how Weeds is on it's last season on Showtime I'm rooting for Kirk to make a name for himself on prime time TV.  JoAnna Garcia is cute, and the supporting cast seems like they'll work well for this show.  Plus, who doesn't love seeing a monkey in a white trench coat? 
Premiere Date: Wednesday, Sept. 26 8/7c NBC

2. Revolution
Ever since Thomas Edison sparked the first light bulb electricity has slowly taken over our whole lives.  Refrigerators, cell phones, Ipods, car batteries; what would you do if it was all gone?  That's the premise behind this new show.  New comers Tracy Spiridakos and Graham Rogers play siblings Charlie and Danny, who have lived without electricity for 15 years.  When Danny is kidnapped by militia Charlie must enlist the help of her estranged uncle, played by Billy Burke from Twilight, to get her brother back and maybe find a way to turn the lights back on.
J.J. Abrams is known for helping create really complicated and twisted TV series like Lost and Fringe, so I feel like this show could be fun to watch, but also time consuming.  Sword fights, arrows flying, and the lead character is pretty sweet looking.  I'm in!
Premiere Date: Monday, Sept. 17 10/9c NBC

1. Arrow
Gee, what a shock, the show I'm most excited to watch is based on a comic book, I know.  Billionaire playboy Oliver Queen is shipwrecked on an island for five years and he returns home with a new view of the world and a few new skills.  He's looking to make amends of all the wrongs not only in Starling City, but also in his personal life.  But those closest to him may know more about what happened to him than they are letting on.  I say use them for target practice and let the secrets spill!
When last The CW network saw Oliver Queen, a.k.a Green Arrow, he was played by Justine Hartley on Smallville.  Although actor Stephen Amell's character has no relation to Hartley's character or world, Oliver's origins still seem similar to it's comic roots.  In the DC Universe Oliver was an only child who lost both his parents.  In Arrow, he still has a sister and a mother, which I think is a nice twist in this interpretation.  What good is a hero if he has nothing too lose?  I'm definitely not a fan of Starling City; I mean does Star City sound that corny?  In any event, just let his girlfriend, Laurel Lance, let out a Black Canary cry and watch me giggle with glee like a school girl.
Premiere Date: Wednesday, Oct. 10 8/7c THE CW


No comments:

Post a Comment