">

June 12, 2010

Different Setting, Same Karate Kid

Back when I used to burn dvd’s, because I was a poor college student, I would get frustrated sometimes because my copy of the movie wasn’t as good as the original. I think a lot people feel the same way about movie remakes. They’re trying to take somebody's idea, story, and character, and make it their own. When I heard they were doing a re-make of the classic 1984 film The Karate Kid starring Will Smith's son, Jaden, I felt that another movie franchise was about to be ruined; then I remembered The Next Karate Kid and realized Hilary Swank had already taken care of that. So now it was time for this franchise to make a fresh come back, even if it is the exact same movie.
Jaden Smith plays Dre Parker in this fish out of water story. Dre’s mom takes a job in China and he is forced to move to the other side of the world, away from everyone he knows. While trying to befriend a young girl, Mei Ying, Dre gets his butt whooped by Beijing's bad boys; the first of many whoopings. However Dre is soon saved by the local handy man, Mr. Han, played by Jackie Chan. Now Dre must compete in a kung-fu tournament if he has any chance of avoiding daily beat downs. But first Mr. Han must teach Dre about more than just kung-fu if he is to win the tournament.
That’s right, I said kung-fu. The word ‘karate’ was only spoken once the entire film, which is very odd because most of the other dialogue from the 1984 film was directly quoted. I’m all for revamping classic stories so they can be continued through generations, but to have each scene be a direct copy of the original film is just plain lazy in my book. The only original idea in this film was Dre’s training and Mr. Han’s tragic past. Of course I can’t expect much from director Harold Zwart, whose signature film is Agent Cody Banks. Of all the lines they took from the original film you think they could have worked in the line, “wax on, wax off,” at least somewhere.
The film did have some great moments and great scenes in it, mainly because they were scenes from the original film put into modern day context. And what would a Karate Kid movie be without a good training montage. I was hoping for some variation of the song, ‘You’re the Best Around,’ during the tourney montage, but my wish was left unfulfilled.
You could definitely tell who Smith’s famous father was by his facial expressions. The more emotional scenes Smith seemed to pull off, but when trying to have a look of focus Smith’s face looked blank. This makes me believe he has some acting chops, but needs more practice. Hang in there kid. Take some notes from your dad, but if he ever says it's a good idea for you t play a cowboy run the other direction.
Jackie Chan is known more for his action than his actual acting abilities, and his heroic rescue scene in this film reminded people why Chan is badass. However I was surprised how well Chan pulled off his big emotional scene in the film. You could tell he is a veteran thespian who just hasn’t had much chance to shine. Chan does moves a little faster than the late and great Pat Morita, but his best lines are ones we’ve already heard Mr. Miyagi say before.
I loved The Karate Kid growing up so I knew every scene and line that was taken for this film.  But when I looked through the audience at all the parents who had brought their kids I realized they were rooting for Dre the same way I used to root for Daniel. The Karate Kid films have always been about standing up for yourself, not being afraid, and this movie has it in spades. It’s a great family film, with some great morals like the original film, mainly because it pretty much is the original film.

RATING:  B

No comments:

Post a Comment