">

April 7, 2010

Comic To Read This Week: Buffy The Vampire Slayer #34

This weeks comic to read was a tough choice.  As I was on my way to the cbs (comic book store) I knew I had a lot of comics to pick up, but I didn’t know how good they were all going to be.  With Superman: Last Stand of New Krypton in full swing and X-Men: Second Coming just starting I was sure I was going to pick one of them.  However thanks to writer Brad Meltzer, this weeks comic to read is a comic that a year ago I had stopped reading.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer was created by Joss Whedon, and has turned it into a campy 90’s film, an award-winning television series that spawned it’s own spin-off, and lots of comic books.  The current Buffy comic series is a continuation of where the TV series left off entitled, Season 8.  The comic started with Buffy and her army of slayers trying to rid the world of vampires and all things evil.  As the series continues the world has turned against them, old villains have resurfaced, and romances have come and gone.  Oh, and Buffy had a few lesbian experiences.  Nice eh?  All the while writers have tried to hold on to the mixture of drama, humor, and horror that made the TV series so great.   
Around issue #20 I realized that Buffy had become a comic I picked up out of habit and didn’t really enjoy reading, and I already collected enough comics for my wife to give me a hard time about.  A few months ago I heard rumors that Angel may be making an appearance in the comic series.  I found this odd since Angel has his own comic series, and although it is also executive produced by Joss Whedon, it is made by a completely different publishing house.
So last month I picked up Buffy and came to find out with the rest of its readers that the uber-villian Twilight, who has been giving Buffy so much trouble in the series, is none other than her former lover, and vampire with a soul, Angel.  He had been working is secret to try and limit the fall-out in the battle between the slayers and their nemesis’s.  After a little explanation as to why he was leading the forces against Buffy, and why Buffy has developed extraordinary superpowers, the two ended the issue with a kiss.
Now the last time the Buffy and Angel bumped uglies Angel lost his soul in a moment of true happiness, turned evil, and tortured Buffy until she had to stick a sword in him and send him to hell.  But doesn’t every relationship end in some form of that?  Issue #34 has Buffy and Angel all powered up and doing the nasty all over the world, literally.  They are doing it while they are float, crashing through mountains, flying at warp speed, and even when they are in earth’s stratosphere.  Meanwhile the rest of the scubbies are listening to Giles explain what is happening to Buffy and watching the destruction Buffy and Angel's fun time is having on the world.  All they can do is wait for them to stop.  As for me I’m still waiting for an explanation as to why Dawn and Xander are now a couple.  I mean for god sakes he used to babysit her!
As for Buffy and Angel, if this issue doesn’t win Wizard Magazine’s "Best Love Scene In A Comic Book" I’m just going to have to stop reading comics books all together.  I mean just think if David Boreanaz and Sarah Michelle Gellar played out this scene?  That'd be pretty hot no matter what gender you prefer.  I think it’s just nice that these two characters can finally get back together and work out years of frustration.  I’m just curious as to why Angel hasn’t lost his soul, because that kinda lovin would drive any man insane.  
At the end of the issue more questions are raised about just what is going on with these two superheroes.  Rumors have also swirled that IDW, the company that publishes Angel, is pissed at Whedon because he didn't give them a heads up about this story line involving their current character.  For now though I’m just going to enjoy my time back in the Buffyverse (I didn’t make it up, I just know the lingo) because as we all know in this world, the happier a character is now the sadder they are going to be when it all goes down hill.


1 comment: