">

April 16, 2010

Theater Review: Kick-Ass

Before I start my review I have a confession to make.  Years ago my brother told me to pick up this hot new comic called Kick-Ass.  I picked up the first issue only to grab the next issue within the hour.  But as months went on I grew less and less interested so that by the time the fourth issue came out I decided not to pick it up.  I’m sorry Mr. Millar.  Before this comic was even finished the movie rights had already been dealt with because it was so popular with fanboys.  That’s what Kick-Ass is, a story about a fanboy, for fanboys.


Aaron Johnson stars as Dave Lizewski.  Dave is just an average teenager.  He hangs out with his friends, reads comic books, and regularly masturbates.  One day he comes up with the crazy idea to become a superhero.  Dave buys a costume, some weapons, and decides to go fight crime as Kick-Ass only to end up getting his ass-kicked.  But he doesn’t give up, and with help from some real crime fighters, Hit Girl and Big Daddy, Kick-Ass takes down New York criminals.  Soon Kick-Ass becomes an internet hero; something Dave uses to his advantage while trying to seduce his crush, Katie, who thinks he’s gay.   Kick-Ass then becomes target number one for the criminal underworld, but can Hit Girl and Big Daddy save him from his own naiveness? 


I wasn’t sure what to expect from this film, but I hoped it wasn’t going to be just a silly fanboy dreaming out loud.  And the film did start out that way.  It was a film that was something we all thought, but knew it wasn’t as exciting as it was in our heads.  However as the film progressed it switched from a John Hughes film to a Quentin Tarintino film.  This film has lots of violence and lots of swearing; most of it coming from an 11-year-old girl.  As Lisa and I exited the theater we saw a father walk out with his little boy and I thought about how is mother will never let daddy take him to another movie after he tells her about Kick-Ass.  If you didn’t want your child to see Watchmen I wouldn’t recommend this film as well.
Johnson held the film together nicely with the giant heart of the hero you root for the whole time.  His journey progressed much like Luke Skywalker; a boy who hoped for adventure but doesn’t want the one that finds him.  Meanwhile one of my least favorite actors, Nicolas Cage, played Big Daddy, who seemed to play several version of Batman put together with his look, fighting style, and manner of speech.  But the films spotlight was all on little Chloe Moretz as Hit Girl.  Seeing an 11-year-old use foul language, kill people, and take giant guys down is just fun entertainment.  Christopher Mintz-Plasse, better known as McLovin, didn’t do too much for the film in a less than funny role, but he severed a purpose none the less.  The small storylines going on throughout the film helped deepen the main characters and provide some side-comedy with supporting characters like Dave’s best friends.  

   
I think Kick-Ass was a great blend of action, heart, and comedy, but not for the squeamish and easily offended.  It’s the kind of superhero film that was going to come someday, but at least it was done with some dignity.  Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to go work on my superhero costume as The Blue Knight.

Rating:  B+


No comments:

Post a Comment