">

April 18, 2010

My Top 12 Films To See This Summer



It’s the most wonderful time of the year.  A least it is for me.  Just as the temperatures heat up outside things start to heat up in theaters.  The summer blockbusters usually have a variety of films the whole family can enjoy, and I always look forward to seeing what films flop and what films go on to be part of my DVD collection.
For those who don’t know, summer blockbusters include films that come out in May through August, and occasionally the end of April. Unfortunately a film I’m looking forward to, The Losers, is releasing just a little too early in April to be counted on this list.  But don’t you worry, the weekend it hits theaters I’ll have my review up by that Monday.  This year I feel like the summer films don’t include as many tasty looking treats to see as summers past, but maybe that just means there aren’t as many to let me down.  I’m looking at you Transformers 2 and X3!  

12.  Dinner for Schmucks (July 23)
Half of the quartet that made The 40-Year-Old Virgin a success is back to give us more laughs.  Paul Rudd plays Tim, a guy looking to move up the corporate ladder.  To do so he has to participate in his boss’s parties for humiliating people.  Even though Tim is against the idea, when he meets Barry, played by Steve Carell, he can’t help but think this walking disaster is his way to the top.
Rudd and Carrell play the opposite of each other in so many film I think their chemistry works really well.  Rudd is the average guy, and Carrel is the lovable loser.  That’s just a match made in cinema heaven.

11. The Other Guys (August 6)
Samuel Jackson and Dwayne Johnson are cops who kick butt and always get their man, but this film is not about them.  This is about the desk cops played by Will Farrell and Mark Walberg who try to run with the big boys and crack a big-time financial crime syndicate.  What follows is a buddy cop film audiences haven’t seen in a while.
Not since 48 Hrs. has a funny cop film looked so enticing.  Farrell is hilarious and with Walberg’s comedy experience from I (heart) Huckabees I think this film will be silly enough for any audience.

10. Shrek Forever After (May 21)
The last Shrek film wasn’t as good as the first two, but it wasn’t horrible like most cartoon film sequels so I think this one has some potential.  In the fourth, and supposed final chapter, in the Shrek saga our favorite ogre is feeling a little down on himself so he makes a wish to see what the world would be like if he were never born.  He wakes up to world where Fiona is an outlaw and his friends are even bigger wusses than he left them.    Can Shrek find the man who made it all happen, Rumpelstiltskin, and set his world right?  I’m gonna go out on a limb and say the last film in a fairy tale series wouldn’t end on a bad note.
Even though cast members have said they would do another Shrek film in a heartbeat director Mike Mitchell guarantees this is the last Shrek film.  But fear not fans, a Pussy in Boots spin-off is scheduled for next year. If I were Eddie Murphy I would pray for another Shrek sequel.  These films are the only good ones he has done in this century aside from Dreamgirls

9. The Living Wake (May 14)
This is probably a film that not too many people have heard about, but I think it looks hilarious.  Jesse Eisenberg from Zombieland co-stars in this film about a man who has one ridiculous idea after another.  He goes around telling everyone he knows that he is going to be dead soon and ask people to come to his wake, but these people aren’t really sure if he’s telling the truth or just raving mad.  Check it out.

8. Despicable Me (July 9)
I love The Office and I love How I Met Your Mother, so anything starring Steve Carrell and Jason Segel I’m all for.  Carrell voices Gru, a supervillian who constantly fights with his nemsis Vector, voiced by Jason Segel.  Gru soon inherits three kids, and well, you can imagine the fun this kind of film will be.
I know what you’re saying, this story has been done a million times.  But it hasn’t been done by these people, and in an animated style like this.  Just check out the trailer and see if you would spend theater money on it.

7. Predators (July 7)
The film that helped make "The Governator" a star is getting a remake after several bad films that included Aliens.  A military brigade sets out on an unknown planet full of vines only to find out they are being hunter by the universes ultimate predators.  Robert Rodriguez has had this idea to bring back Predator for years and hopes that it will reignite the same way the Batman franchise did.  The film stars Adrien Brody, Topher Grace, and Laurence Fishburne.  Oh they’re all screwed!
 
6. Knight and Day (June 25)
Normally I’d say skip any film that stars Tom Cruise these days, but after seeing the trailer for this film I think a lot of people are going to warm back up to Maverick.  Cruise stars as a secret agent looking to protect a scientist, and somehow an ordinary girl, played by Cameron Diaz, gets tangles up in the mess and he has to protect her from the bad guys.
Cruise hasn’t gotten to play funny in too many films, which is something I think he does very well, so I’m excited for this action/comedy with one of America’s sweethearts riding shotgun.

    


5. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (August 13)
Once I heard about this film was being made I went out and checked out the graphic novel series, and I was pretty impressed about how much I think teenagers are gonna love this film.  Superbad star Michael Cera plays Scott Pilgrim, a bass player with an eye for Ramona Flowers.  But to date Ramona, Scott has to defeat her evil ex-boyfriends, two of which are played by Chris Evans and Brandon Routh.  Michael Cera vs. Captain America and Superman?  Where can I place my bets at?
The graphic novels are set in this sort of video game style reality.  Scott finds ways to power up during his fights, and get points when he defeats an ex-boyfriend.  I don’t know what director Edgar Wright as planned for the style of the film, but if it stays true to the graphic novel slackers and punk kids everywhere will swoon to Scott Pilgrim.

4. Robin Hood (May 14)
Russell Crowe and director Ridley Scott team up again for this version about the prince of thieves.  This is their fifth film working on together, the first being Gladiator.  I’m looking forward to this new film, even though I still love the Kevin Costner version from 1990.  Cate Blanchett co-stars as Maid Marian and even though I don’t find Blanchett attractive there is no denying she is a terrific actress, so I’ll allow it. When it comes down to it I’m a sucker for anything with sword fighting in it.

3. The A-Team (June 11)
What child of the 80’s doesn’t remember the entertaining television show, The A-Team.  Starring Mr. T as B.A., the teams tough guy, these four guys were the men you called when you had no hope.  Four soldiers are in military prison for a crime they didn’t commit, but when they break out their looking to settle a score while being pursued by hottie Jessica Biel.
When I saw the first trailer I wasn’t crazy about this film.  Bradley Cooper I can picture in a film like this but what is a renowned actor like Liam Neeson is playing Hannibal?  After watching the second trailer and seeing more of the action I was won over.  Now I pity the fool who doesn’t see this movie!

2. Iron Man (May 7)
When last we saw Tony Stark he had just announced to the world that his is the superhero known as Iron Man, and he also met with S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, Nick Fury.  Director Jon Favereau has gathered the entire cast and crew back together except for Terrance Howard, who has been replaced by Don Cheadle as Colonel James Rhodes.  In this film we get to see Rhodes become the hero known as War Machine so it’s too bad Howard couldn’t reach a deal with the studio so he could finish what he started.
In the sequel Tony, still played by Robert Downey Jr., has all kinds of problems.  The government along with a corporate tycoon, played by Sam Rockwell, want their hands on the Iron Man weapon.  Tony isn’t looking to give it up, but Mickey Rourke plays an inventor who just might help Rockwell’s character take Iron Man down.
Along the way we get to see Samuel Jackson as Nick Fury, and Scarlett Johansson as the Russian spy known as the Black Widow.  Their characters will tie into the Marvel film universe that Iron Man started, continued by Thor next summer, and Captain America: The First Avenger and The Avengers a year later.  And yes people, Scarlett Johansson’s Black Widow is my computer wallpaper.
 
1. Toy Story 3 (June 18)
Woody, Buzz, and the rest of Andy’s toy box are back, but things aren’t how we left them.  Andy is all grown and going to college without his old toys.  The gang is sent to a day care center that seems too good to be true, because it is.  After a short stay Woody is looking to get back to the boy who loved him, but will Andy still want him?
The first Toy Story film came out when I was twelve and it was the first fully computer animated film ever.  Now here I am, 26, and I can’t wait for the further adventures of Woody, Buzz, Jesse, Bullseye, Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head, and of course Rex.  Every kid always dreams that their toys would come alive so they could play with them, and thanks to Toy Story we all get to live that dream.

    


 So there you have it, twelve films that will give you a reason to sit in an air-conditioned theater while everyone else sizzles outside like bacon.  My runners-up include the remake of The Karate Kid, Jonah Hex, and Inception.  And even though I will probably go see the new Twilight film just so I can say give it bad review there is no way my wife is going to drag me to Step-Up 3-D.  Not even if she had a Princess Leia iron bikini!
I’m definitely looking forward to my top five films this summer.  Plus, I can’t wait to see just how hot Jessica Biel and Scarlet Johansson are going to be kicking ass!  To Infinity and Beyond!

2 comments: