">

April 8, 2010

DVD Review: Brothers

Based on the Danish film Brodre, Jim Sheridan directs this film starring Tobey Maguire and Jake Gyllenhaal as Sam and Tommy Cahill.  Tommy is just coming home from prison while his brother is off to Afghanistan.  When news comes back to Sam's wife Grace, played by Natalie Portman, that Sam is dead she doesn't know what to do, and neither does Tommy.   Tommy soon decides to help Grace move on with her life and the two become close, a little too close.  But when word comes back that Sam is alive the tears of joy may be premature.  Sam returns home with a terrible secret that could destroy himself and his entire family.
Let me start off by saying I love all three of these actors, and it's why I wanted to see this film. Each one does a good job, but Toby Maguire outshines the other two with the emotional range he portrays in this film, which is why I think he deserved his Oscar nomination.  Most of the characters Gyllenhaal plays are very stoic, but in different ways.  His character in this film fit that mold once again.  I think Portman has started being type cast because she did in this film what she did in Star Wars:  Episode III, which is just cry a lot.  I hope her role in next summers film, Thor, lets her flex her acting muscles a little more, since we all know she has them. Another notable performance was Bailee Madison playing Sam and Grace's daughter, Isabelle.  For a little girl she can bring it.
If you're looking for a happy film then you better take this one out of your Netflix queue.  I was uncomfortable most of the film as I watched these characters make their mistakes, but I could also feel the family drama, mainly between Tommy and his father, played by the wonderful Sam Shepard.  It was the kind of moments that make up a family, and I think that helped the film a lot in believability. 
During the film I thought there should have been more to a few scenes, but when it all ended I could see why Sheridan held back in some places.  I don't think I'll ever watch this film again, but I do recommend it for anyone who enjoys a close-to-home story and some good acting.  Sam and Tommy Cahill won't go down as famous film brothers, but by the end of the film you know they are there for each other, like only brothers can be.   
Rating:  C


No comments:

Post a Comment